Symptoms of Mycotoxins in Humans

What are Mycotoxins?

Mycotoxins are toxic substances produced by certain types of fungi, including molds. The prefix 'myco' coming from the greek word 'mykes', meaning fungus related. They can be found on a variety of grains, nuts, and other crops, and can also be found in some types of building materials, such as drywall and insulation. These toxins can have harmful effects on human health when ingested or inhaled, depending on the type of mycotoxin and the amount consumed.

Mycotoxins can appear in your home in a number of ways:

  • Contaminated food: Mycotoxins can be found in some types of food that have been contaminated by mold. This can occur if the food has been stored improperly or has been exposed to moisture or high humidity.
  • Mold growth: Mycotoxins can be produced by certain types of mold, which can grow on a variety of surfaces in your home, including walls, ceilings, and furniture. Mold growth is often a sign of a moisture problem, such as a leak or high humidity levels.
  • Building materials: Some types of building materials, such as drywall and insulation, can contain mycotoxins if they have been contaminated by mold. This can occur if the materials have been exposed to moisture or high humidity.

What are the symptoms of Mycotoxins?

Symptoms of mycotoxin poisoning can vary widely, depending on the type and amount of mycotoxin consumed, as well as the age and general health of the person affected. In general, the symptoms of mycotoxin poisoning may include:

  • Respiratory problems, such as coughing and difficulty breathing
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Abdominal pain and cramping
  • Diarrhea
  • Headaches
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Fever
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Skin irritation or rash

In severe cases, mycotoxin poisoning can cause serious health problems, including organ damage, immune system suppression, cancer, and even death. It is important to be aware of the potential risks associated with mycotoxins and to take steps to prevent exposure, such as by properly storing and handling food and avoiding moldy or spoiled products.

If you think you may have been exposed to mycotoxins and are experiencing any of the above symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Poison Control (US): 1-800-222-1222 (UK, NHS): 111
If it is a medical emergency dial 911 (UK 999)

Remediating mycotoxin and mold can be a complex and potentially dangerous process, as it involves removing or cleaning up contaminated materials and addressing the underlying conditions that allowed the mold to grow in the first place. So it is recommended to hire a professional to assist.

Our team of mold remediation experts are here to help you quickly remove mold and dangerous mycotoxins from your property in Florida. Set your mind at rest and ensure your home is a healthy environment for you and your guests. Contact us today for a free consultation!


Contact Our Team

Fill out the form below to get in touch with us.

Thank you! A member of our team will reach out to your shortly!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
The Healthy Environments Logo